Monday, March 29, 2010

Preparing for 2010 Autocross & Drag Racing Season


New England Dragway opens its doors to the general public for the first 'Street Night' of the season on Friday April 9th. I have yet to drag race my 2008 Subaru WRX STI (right) but look forward to seeing what this thing is made of. I dont know if I will make it to opening night here, because I have 2 other potential events this weekend which, to me, are much more appealing (see below).

The 2010 Autocross season starts on April 10th with the Renegade Miata Club driving school at Devens Airfield. Now, I dont own a Mazda, so I can only attend via invite from a club member. Thus, BIG thanks to Marc (See his blog) for letting me tag along. The following day (April 11th), at the same location, is the 1st Points Event for the NER Chapter of SCCA.

I dont expect to be hugely competitive, but I had a blast the one event I managed to get to last year, so Im going to try and put some focus here this season and see what I can do.

For those familiar with SCCA regulations, I will be running the STU class. So far, the only 'go-fast' modifications to the car are a 3" Turboback Exhaust and Cobb AccessPort. I have also added a set of Enkei RP03 wheels in 18x9.5 +38 wrapped in Dunlop Drezza Star Spec tires sized 245/40/18. The 245 tire is a bit stretched on the 9.5 width wheels, but in order to remain in STU and not get bumped up to SM I couldnt use a tire any wider than that.

Items Im waiting on or installing in the near future to help get ready are:
- Custom Protune - moar powa!!
- Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar
- Hawk HPS brake pads
- SettingSaver - saves my SI-Drive/DCCD/VDC settings
- Rally Decals magnetic # kit

The 1st three items likely wont be done in time for the first weekend of events, but they are on the block and will happen as soon as I have time to do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment